Six Orchestral Pieces
By J.S. Bach
Arranged by Jennifer Bowman
J.S. Bach is one of my all-time favorite composers. I just completed a project that has been on my list for many years. This is a collection of 6 short themes by J.S. Bach. In this collection, there are four versions of each theme.
- Version A is in the original key with my own suggested tempo, fingerings, articulations and dynamics.
- Version B is also in the original key but with no markings so the performer can experiment with their own individual interpretation. In other words, this is an “Urtext” version of the selection.
- Version C is in the key of C Major or A Minor with my own suggested tempo, fingerings, articulations and dynamics. In this alternate key, the performer does not have to worry about additional sharps or flats in the key signature as they learn some of Bach’s stylistic elements.
- Version D is in the key of C Major or A Minor with no markings.
The collection includes the following selections:
- Theme from Brandenburg Concerto #2
- Theme from Brandenburg Concerto #3
- Theme from Brandenburg Concerto #5
- “Rondeau” from Orchestral Suite #2
- “Badinerie” from Orchestral Suite #2
- Theme from “St. Matthew Passion”
YouTube links for each piece are below. I play the piece in both versions with original key version first. Then, followed by a few tips to consider while learning the piece.